Instant Pot Chinese Beef Diakon Stew
Classic Hong Kong Comfort Food: Chinese Beef Brisket Stew with Daikon & Carrot
- Instant Pot
- 2-2.5 Pound (1068g) beef brisket or finger meat (Chinese: 牛坑腩)
- 1-1.5 Pound (600g) large diakon
- 4 large carrots
- 4 sliced ginger, crushed
- 6 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 shallot , chopped
- 3 Stalks green onions , separate white from green
- 1 Cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
Chu Hou Paste:
- 3 Tbsp Chu Hou Sauce (Chinese: 柱侯醬) or black bean sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tsp oyster sauce
- 3 star anise
- 2 Tsp rock sugar or white sugar
- 1 small orange peel or chenpi (dried mandarin peel or Chinese: 陳皮 - rehydrate for 15 minutes)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp cold water
- Prepare Chenpi (soak for 15 minutes).
- Prepare Diakon and Carrots: Peel & cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare Beef Brisket/ Finger Meat: Cut into 1-inch cubes and season with salt.
- Prepare Chu Hou Sauce: In a small bowl add chu hou paste, soy sauce, oyster sauce, star anise, and sugar.
- Prepare & mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl
- Brown Beef Brisket/ Finger Meat: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté function. Pat dry the beef. Drizzle the inner pot with 1 tbsp oil. Brown 2 sides of the beef for 3 minutes per side in Instant Pot and set aside browned beef.
- Saute Ginger & Garlic: Add crushed garlic cloves, sliced ginger, chopped shallot, and white part of green onions in Instant Pot. Saute until fragrant. While the ginger and garlic are being sauteed.
- Deglaze: Add browned beef pieces (with all the meat juices) and mix. Pour in 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add Chu Hou Sauce and orange peel or chenpi in Instant Pot. Mix so all the ingredients are infused with the paste.
- Add in daikon and carrots, and unsalted chicken stock.
- Pressure Cook Chinese Beef Stew: Pressure Cook Meat/Stew at High Pressure for 15 minutes (beef with some chew), then 15 minutes Natural Release.
- Mix thickener into beef stew on the "Saute" setting of the Instant pot. Simmer and mix.
- Serve with rice or noodles. Garnish with green onions.